The Jewellery Channel met up with contemporary jewellery designer Rachel Galley to have a quick catch up. Rachel’s modern and innovative work is at the cutting end of fashion and style while also being fun and funky to wear. Her work has been celebrated and awarded on a number of occasions, most recently Rachel was awarded ‘Catwalk Jewellery Of The Year’ at the annual UK Jewellery Awards 2012.
We got down to the nitty gritty and had a great Q & A session with Rachel….
- TJC: How did you start in the jewellery business? Have you always wanted to make jewellery?
- RG: I used to make jewellery as a child, putting beaded pieces together in my bedroom, but actually packaging them up nicely and then selling them at school fairs etc. I studied Art & Design at school and college and then went on to do a foundation course in art which led me to want to study Jewellery Design at Central saint Martins College of Art and Design – London. Being part of one of the most prestigious art colleges opened me up to a whole new world of design and jewellery. Graduating with a first class honours degree enabled me to take job offers from Links Of London, Stephen Webster and Boodles. I was offered a job to design for Bulgari and be based in Rome, which would have been so exciting, but at the time my heart was set on designing for myself and making my own collections. I then started my LTD. Company in 2009 and have created many collections since then!
- TJC: How do you get your inspiration for a new collection? On Thursday we are lucky enough to showcase your new “Raindrops” collection. What was your inspiration behind these fabulous new pieces?
- RG: I get my inspiration from many different places, architecture, travel and sometimes even emotions and feelings. The new raindrop collection is based on the fluidity of water, the movement and the ripples created by the water, which we all find so mysterious. Water is fascinating and can be very soothing and calming. The beautiful blue topaz highlights the beautiful ripples in this range perfectly. I am absolutely in love with this new range and cant wait to showcase it exclusively on TJC!
- TJC: If you could design a piece of jewellery for anyone, whom would be your “perfect” muse? And what would you be likely to make for them?
- RG: I would love to have been able to make some jewellery for Marilyn Monroe. She was so beautiful but her appearance I believe to us was not the real her. She had such a story to tell, had such a glamorous life in a totally different era to now. It would have been fascinating to listen to her stories and to have been a part of her iconic life story.
- TJC: Do you have a favourite piece that you’ve designed over the years?
- RG: I fall in love with many of my pieces but I have to say that the brand new Raindrop ring has to be one of my favourites. The stone is simply beautiful and whenever I have worn the sample it has attracted a lot of attention!
- TJC: What do you do when you’re not working? Any hobbies?
- RG: I have done a marathon and a few triathlons, so I am hoping to do more triathlons (not sure I can handle another marathon!). I love doing house developments and am looking for another house project currently. I just completed a house build, which was amazing, scary, exciting, challenging all rolled into one!
- TJC: Each piece makes a bold, striking statement – what kind of woman wears Rachel Galley jewellery?
- RG: The type of woman that wears Rachel Galley Jewellery can vary. Some of the pieces are quite subtle and understated, but within the same range you can have pieces which are very strong and bold. Maybe the women that wear my jewellery are similar to me in that some days we are happy to stand out from the crowd but other days we are quite happy being more understated. The jewellery does offer that point of difference however, so even when you wear the smaller items they carry such an identity and story with them that there is always something to show off.
- TJC: If you could sum up your look and aesthetic in three words, what would they be and why?
- RG: Classy – the jewellery has a real statement to it in the sense that it doesn’t need to be stacked high, it just has a confidence, a presence all of its own. Confident- with the jewellery being less mainstream than mass-market high street brands the woman that wears the jewellery knows who she is and how she wants to look. Clean – no fussy edges, no fiddly details, just clean, simple, wearable jewellery.
Raindrops is based on the fluidity of water with the blue topaz representing the clarity and dream like quality of water. The reflections on the pieces are stunning and unique. One of the most elegant ranges from Rachel Galley to date.
Be one of the first to get your hands on one of the most stunning ranges of jewellery that Rachel has brought to TJC as yet. Featuring the most dazzling blue topaz stones set into solid sterling silver pieces with the stunning ripples of flowing water. There are low quantities so please don’t miss out. Thursday 27th September, 7:30pm-12pm.
As always, have fun shopping….